OziStyle became a fan of Mother Nature

So tomorrow marks the beginning of the Easter long weekend. I am a fan of this 4 day (used to be 5 day) weekend. Husband and I don't get all that much time off together so we are marking this joint break from work with a camping trip. When i was younger, growing up in the 80's in a single parent household camping trips were gold. Ma would pack us up with our extended family and we would go away several times a year. I remember it used to be so much fun staying up late and laughing ourselves silly until we fell asleep - surrounded by about 8 kids to a tent. Fast forward 15 years and camping had lost it's glorious shine to me.

I've been a few times over the past couple of years, but these trips have consisted of toilet-tent's, muddy river banks, random friends having random sex in my bed, and no access to running water or showers. Sure, there was lot's of fun and adventure had too, but these are the details that i keep in the front of my mind.


I decided it was time to lose the princess image that some of our friends were beginning to form about me and give camping another red hot go. I will let you guys in on some secrets. Firstly, i made husband buy us a brand new tent. Unfortunately he would not agree to anything more elaborate than a tent that i could help him put up - this safely limited us to dome tents. We now have a 6 man tent. I bought a new camping air mattress - this baby is HUGE. It's as big as our queen size bed and reaches my waist in height. I have prepared proper meals and frozen them so we don't have to eat junk all the time.


We are camping in a beautiful national forest park that is a couple of hours down the coast from here. The weather is turning colder now and it will be too cold to swim in the waterfalls or at the beach, so my biggest barrier to overcome will be not having a shower for 2 days. I know this is not a problem for most guys, but when you are used to washing your hair daily, showering 1-2 times a day and this is substituted with camp fire smoke smell and dirt, dust and possibly some mud, you begin to feel dirty quickly.


We are going with couple friends of ours who love to get stuck into me and tease me about my compulsive cleanliness, so i will no doubt be taunted and teased all weekend.
We leave at 9am tomorrow morning... so only time will tell whether i survive the Easter camping trip...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck!!!!

Anonymous said...

nothing from her on the question either......

Anonymous said...

i didnt even know this was here... GP ozi!!!!