Daddy Knows Best.....


....so i don't know if it's because today is the one year anniversary of my old man no longer being with us that i'm writing about him twice in a month or so, but i'm definitely reminiscing about him and wonder how he is.....he died a year ago today.....i like to visualize him at peace wherever he is at, kickin' it with that badassmothafucka patrick swayze smoking a cigar.....i remember the first time i brought home a girlfriend, his first words to her as he came out of the bathroom were, " i wouldn't go in there if i were you.....it smells like someone just shit on a christmas tree...."......then there was the time he was accompanying me playing his guitar in my junior high band class when he made the comment that i "only read playboy for the articles".......he honestly wasn't trying to be malicious or hurtful, he was just being dad, alwyas trying to crack a joke and sometimes (always) blurring the line of good taste.....one of his finest came only a couple days before he passed away....i was in his hospital room with my older brother and we had been there for a number of hours while dad slept (he had become prone to waking up in the midst of hallucinations scared shitless so we tried to stay up at the hospital with him a lot)....anyway, my older brother is pretty emotional because he's a big softie and i'm trying to be the "lean-on" guy for the entire family....so pappy wakes up and he actually isn't totally out of it....his nurse comes in and is frittering about and i hear my dad mumble something about "titties"....again, i see my brother is getting upset 'cause he thinks old man is out of it but i see old man notice this too and i can see his eyes flash with a second of parental concern......the nurse has heard dad mumble so she does what nurses do and asks him "pardon me Bruce, what did you want?".....the stinky old bastard makes eye contact with me and gives me a half-wink, then replies to the nurse......."blow job".......
so we all had a good chuckle and my brother had a good sigh.....even when he was slipping away old man saw that his eldest son needed something from his dad to indicate that when all was said and done he would be alright and we all would be alright....that was what made my dad and makes my dad great......and what also makes him great is what i'm sure he and Swayze are doing to Farrah Fawcett right now.....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

your dad, swayze and fawcett.... i wish i we're dead...

Anonymous said...

I can't even BELIEVE it's already been a year.
RIP Daddy Dylf

Anonymous said...

i sure hope your daddy gets the front door in that menage.....

Anonymous said...

awww RIP Dylf's daddy!

Anonymous said...

thats kind of bittersweet and sad - good though!

B-Rush said...

GP Dylf - what I wanna know is.... how many shades of red did the nurse change?

Anonymous said...

hahahah true story

Anonymous said...

gp!

Mizzle said...

I love it DYLF. It's moving and inspiring. This post is like a window into the bond that is father and son.

Respect.

Anonymous said...

AMen Mizzle!

Dylf said...

thanks peeps....the nurse didn't know what to say, especially when she gave old man a double take and he gave me the "wink and the gun"......

Anonymous said...

Awww great post :)

Anonymous said...

hahahaha the wink and the gun - nice

Anonymous said...

Leatherface Fawcett? You could do better.....

Anonymous said...

Nice post bro! Made me cry.
The Softie